By Staff Writer
The Local Government Association of Tasmania (LGAT) has launched a new Councillor Resource Kit that contains practical information to assist new councillors to become familiar with their roles and responsibilities in local government.
The Association says it will also be a useful resource for existing councillors.
Local Government Association of Tasmania (LGAT) president Mike Gaffney, said the Councillor Resource Kit, is a useful document for all elected members regardless of their experience in Local Government.
“This revised edition is more concise and user-friendly, and will be an invaluable source of information, particularly for newcomers to the Local Government sector,” he said.
Copies of the kit will be distributed to all elected members and will soon be available for download from the LGAT website at www.lgat.tas.gov.au.
The kit serves to update the previous Elected Member Handbook and presents information and guidance in the following areas:
– The Role of the Local Government Association of Tasmania
– Understanding the local government Framework
– Council Roles and Responsibilities
– Tips for Effective Meetings
– Policy Development and Decision-making
– Understanding local government Finance
– Land Use Planning: The Basics
– Councillor Learning and Development
– Skills Checklist
– Other Useful Resources
– Key Organisations and Contacts
Comment below to have your say on this story.
If you have a news story or tip-off, get in touch at email@example.com.
Sign up to the Government News newsletter