The Heart Foundation is inviting councils across Australia to enter its 2008 Local Government Awards.
The awards, open to councils who are helping create healthier communities, provide recognition from the Heart Foundation and $35,000 in cash awards and a plaque.
Councils which create supportive environments to promote better health and reduce te risk of chronic conditions are being urged to nominate. The awards focus on the implementation of programs that build social connections, encourage people to be physically active, be smoke-free and make healthy food choices.
The 2008 awards program has five categories:
- Implementation of plans and policies to support heart health;
- Provision and use of facilities to improve heart health;
- Programs that improve heart health in priority groups;
- Programs that promote healthy weight;
- Programs and policies that reduce exposure to tobacco.
For entry forms and information about the awards see www.heartfoundation.org.au/Get_Involved/Local_Government_Awards
Entries close June 6.
Comment below to have your say on this story.
If you have a news story or tip-off, get in touch at email@example.com.
Sign up to the Government News newsletter