A communiqué calling for the inclusion of local government in the Australian Constitution and more robust targets for the Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme was presented to Prime Minister Kevin Rudd by local government leaders today.
Communiqués summarising the positions reached at the NGA was unanimously adopted by the more than 650 delegates.
- inclusion of local government in the Australian Constitution;
- more ambitious targets for the Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme;
- all levels of government to work together to develop and improve climate change mitigation and adaptation strategies;
- national action to provide water supply certainty throughout Australia utilising ecologically sustainable measures;
- entrenching the successful Community Infrastructure Program payments under the stimulus packages as an ongoing annual program;
- an increase to the base funding for Financial Assistance Grants paid by the Australian Government to local government each year for recurrent expenditure; and
- a permanent framework to address cost-shifting between the levels of government.
For more information or to view the Communiqués visit the ALGA website.
Comment below to have your say on this story.
If you have a news story or tip-off, get in touch at email@example.com.
Sign up to the Government News newsletter